Topic: Reflective paper divided into 2 sections
Topic: Reflective paper divided into 2 sections
Part1 Related to Orangi Pilot Program ( OPP)
The first part (500 words) is asking you to consider the Orangi project and explain how the principles of primary health care apply to this project. That is how did the Orangi project show or (or fail to show) participation, equity, integration, and multisectoral collaboration principles?
use at least 1 reference to support each principle.
Below my ideas about each principle which the writer has to used when answering this part and the writer can include new ideas of course where relevant to complete this part:
The OPP was not strictly a health program but aimed to address a component of infrastructure that is directly linked to health, well – being (social, emotional) and socioeconomic opportunities)
Principle 1: Equity and Access
– People with disadvantage in social determinants have poorer health outcomes/access to health services.
– The Orangi community were disadvantages because unofficial status of squatter settlement means lack of government service.
Equity was enhanced by:
– Affordable, low cost, provision of microcredit ( provide how much each household pay to contribute to this project).
– Inclusive of different ethnic groups.
Equity in the pilot project could be disputed because:
– Orangi community not as disadvantaged as other community ( Provide literacy rates in females for orangi community)
– income higher than other area ( provide evidence, reference)
– it may have been that due to laneway politics/democracy, the voice of new settlers/women may not well heard.
Principle 2: participation
what work in term of participation principle:
• Community driven, built and funded – fostering ownership, sustainability and empowerment
• OPP approached community to gauge interests and priorities
• Laneway manager (often men) and treasurer (often women) elected by laneway residents
What hasn’t work:
• Need for infrastructure improvement was identified by NGO and presented to community
• The process by which laneway residents agreed to program involved education and/or persuasion
Principle 3: multisectoral collaboration
In term of multisectoral collaboration principle the project started with a single issue focus on sanitation once the swage program success ( Plz provide number of household maintain swage, provide reference here) the project expend to involve 4 new institutions by 1988: OPP Research and Training Institute ( covered issues such as sanitation, housing, education), OPP Orangi Charitable Trust (microcredit), OPP Karachi Health and Social Development Program, OPP social institute ( provide reference)
Fail to show in term of multisectoral collaboration principle:
• 1. Inconsistent with government collaboration
• 2. Education around hygiene practices & safe water use not incorporated in project
Principle 4: integration
Integration principle doesn’t apply in this project as it is not a formal health program. But if we would like to look at the integration in general in this project, initially poor vertical integration with the government ( the OPP appeared to prefer working autonomously), and limited linkages with other non – governmental organizations (NGOs) and service provider. Eventually the integration become more horizontal as OPP connected with other NGOs to consider multiple issues ( provide reference)
Part2 ( 500 words)
How as a public Health promoter can you apply principles of primary health care ( Equity, participation, multisectoral collaboration and integration) in the way you work? below brief beginning to assist the writer to write this part, all principles must be discussed basically the writer has to make up this part using his/her ideas to answer this question part, no references needed here.
upon completing my masters degree in public health I plan to return back to the UAE and work as a public health promoter. To carry out my duties in an appropriate manner it would be vital for me to customize the information I have learnt in my degree to the social context in which I would be practicing. The UAE has a large population of immigrants from all over the Arab world as well as from the Indian sub continent, this is important to keep in mind as I would need to initially understand the differing social contexts of these sub populations before designing an intervention plan appropriate in addressing their health issues.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies