Public hearings – including town halls or town meetings – are strongly criticized in this chapter in large part due to the design of these events. What are some of the weaknesses in the way public hearings are frequently structured, timed, and advertised? How can these weaknesses serve to negatively affect deliberation in terms of the analytical and social criteria? Your response must have 275 words minimum. NO TITLE PAGE.
• For this paper, you must attend a public meeting. Attend or recall a meeting at school or your employment for your paper.
• You will write 2 FULL PAGES pages analyzing the meeting in terms of its design and how well the meeting met the analytical and social criteria of a deliberative meeting.
• You must describe and support three analytic process criteria (See attached Chapter 7 – fig. 7.1) and three social process criteria (fig. 7.1) using detailed examples.
• In your paper, please propose at least two specific changes to the meetings design (e.g., agenda setting, facilities, timing, invited experts, invited participants, etc.) that would have allowed for a more deliberative discussion and support these changes with detailed examples.
• You must provide citations/quotes from the text book (chapter 7) for each of the analytical and social criteria that you analyze (six total).
Citizens and Officials
in Public Meetings
One of my fellow council members would occasionally start a public hearing
by announcing that he already knew what position each witness would take.
And he was usually correct. I figure I spent nearly 2,000 hours in formal
public hearings over the last eight years. It was not time well spent.
—A former county council member in Maryland’
Let’s be clear about something at the outset of this chapter: Holding a series
of public meetings can be a complete waste of time. By comparison with
the juries discussed in the previous chapter, participants in a public meeting
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more