Which one of the following artists believed perspective was a lie?
A. Claude Monet B. Vincent van Gogh C. Pierre-Auguste Renoir D. Paul Cézanne
2. Magritte was concerned with making the spectator of an artwork conscious of the limitations of signs, labeling, and language. In so doing, he challenged the spectator to see with fresh eyes and without prejudice the everyday world about him. As such, his works are reminiscent of those of
A. Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres. B. Salvador Dalí. C. Claude Monet. D. Ludwig Kirchner
3. The artist _______ trained to be a lawyer.
A. Emil Nolde B. Henri Matisse C. Paul Gauguin D. Pablo Picasso
4. Which of the following was true of the Age of Reason?
A. People used science to explain social experiences. B. People valued science over faith. C. People debated the raison d’être. D. People justified their faith using scientific principles.
5. Monet achieved heightened color effects by
A. painting outdoors. B. using dots of colors. C. placing colors side by side rather than mixing them. D. painting only in the sunlight
6. By which primitive art form was Pablo Picasso known to have been inspired?
A. African masks B. Ice Age cave paintings C. Neolithic amulets D. Eskimo carvings
7. Which one of the following artists painted The Great Wave?
A. Angelica Kauffmann B. Kitagawa Utamaro C. Katsushika Hokusai D. Claude Monet
8. _______ used pure colors from the tube and not those of the natural world.
A. Impressionists B. Expressionists C. Fauves D. Cubists
9. Which of the following elements is not present in The Abduction of Rebecca by Eugène Delacroix?
A. Literary figures B. Pale colors C. Curved lines D. Variation in brushstrokes
10. Which of the following human values is forcefully expressed in the paintings and lithographs of Edvard Munch?
A. Hope B. Honesty C. Nobility D. Delicacy
11. Which of the following artists is credited with inventing Cubism?
A. Henri Matisse B. Vincent van Gogh C. Pablo Picasso D. Paul Cézanne
12. Which subject matter was a specialty of Jacques-Louis David?
A. Seascapes B. Peasant scenes C. Historical events D. Nature scenes
13. Fine art prints from which of these countries influenced the development of twentieth-century art?
A. Tahiti B. China C. Japan D. India
14. Which one of the following artists was considered the most famous American female Impressionist painter?
A. Rosa Bonheur B. Paulina Borghese C. Mary Cassatt D. Angelica Kauffmann
15. In his celebrated “Manifesto of Futurism,” Filipo Tomasso Marinetti expressed the belief that
A. painting, but not sculpture, is not to be bound by traditional art theory. B. that sculpture should be regarded as the leading art form of the new century. C. the traditional cultural forms and arts are valueless. D. art and technology are independent human expressions.
16. What does Gainsborough’s The Blue Boy depict?
A. A son of Charles I B. The son of a merchant C. William, the young hero of a romantic novel D. A contemporary view of St. George
17. Which of these artistic values is most apparent in the sculpture of Constantin Brancusi?
A. Emotional expression B. Sensuality C. Ornamentation D. Purity
18. Gauguin isn’t regarded by art historians as a Fauvist painter. Like the Fauves, however, Gauguin believed that
A. naturalistic forms and colors are inseparable. B. form follows function. C. the reality of dreams takes precedence over conventional reality. D. colors in a painting are a function of emotional truths and not visual reality.
19. Which of the following painters was often seen wearing male attire?
A. Angelica Kauffman B. Paulina Borghese C. Berthe Morisot D. Rosa Bonheur
20. Which of the following artists declared that artists should “paint things not as they are, but as they feel them”?
A. Vincent van Gogh B. Pierre-Auguste Renoir C. Édouard Manet D. Paul Cézanne
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more