Write an original lifestyle feature of 1500 – 1750 words (through personal observation and enquiry), suitable in style for publication in a magazine (or the magazine section of a mainstream newspaper). Ensure that it: informs, describes (and, where appropriate, entertains) in the manner demonstrated by the examples offered within the study guide; conforms with professional expectations in terms of expression and syntax; offers the required blend of facts, quotes and anecdotes; delivers all its components in approved journalism style (as outlined in workshop sessions) and contains material (along with quotes) from at least two sources encountered during your research.
In addition, to bring the assignment up to its required total of approximately 2000 words, a 250-word reflection is required. This should contain:
• outline of reasons, methods, and difficulties (if any) involved in identifying and meeting your subject.
• Sources of information.
• Technique employed in composing the profile.
• A brief discussion on published material (from the study guide or elsewhere) that influenced the style and voice applied in writing the finished product.
LIFESTYLE & TRAVEL WRITING
Newspapers have grown considerably in size in recent years. That growth has been particularly noticeable in supplements concerned with home renovation, health, food, entertainment, and travel. An opportunity therefore exists for students of Creative & Feature Writing for the Media to engage with this genre.
The course study guide offers:
• Four Marks launches ‘street watch’ – an account of community action to tackle antisocial behaviour.
• Indonesia’s smoking epidemic – an investigation into a juvenile addiction to nicotine.
• The strange and evil world of Equatorial Guinea – observations on a troubled nation.
• Enclave-hunting in Switzerland – travel writing that explores some quaint political and geographical features.
• Tour De Gall – a condemnation of a famed restaurant.
Disneyland with the death penalty – an American writer confronts topical issues in Singapore.
Note the following:
• In some instances, the writer reflects critically on the experience, as well as recalling the more positive elements. The words ‘I” and ‘we’ are used sparingly: avoid the risk of excluding readers from the mood and scene.
• The structure can embrace quotes, description, observation, and basic information on cost (where appropriate).
• There is a sustained theme of entertainment, as well as information. This is writing for leisured reading, and should keep faith with that pursuit.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more