legalizing Gay marriages
Select one of the following countries:
Create a 350- to 500-word cultural evaluation in which you identify the ways that arguments or presentation of the arguments would need to be changed as the result of cultural differences in the country.
Debate Paper Outline
A. The laws concerning marriage within the United States have changed considerably over time, taking into the considerations of the uprising demands for legalizing Gay marriages. We know that Gay marriage is a human right but the big question is whether or not to legalize it.
B. Thesis: Because this should be a matter of civil and equal rights as well, legal arguments in support of gay marriage is getting more attention and the debates over whether or not they should have the same rights as heterosexual couples in marriage are rising.
A. The Constitutional law is changing the face of what America has called a traditional marriage.
1. The institution of marriage has undergone enormous change in recent years as historians believe ending discrimination against same-sex couples in marriage is no more dramatic than other recent changes (GLAD, N.D).
2. The last vestige of discrimination in marriage lies in the refusal of the government to grant same-sex couples access to the institution (GLAD, N.D).
B. Marriage rights and benefits are given to married couples, regardless of the sexual orientation of the domestic partners according to the law.
1. The U.S. government recognizes same-sex marriage for legal purposes even in 34 states that donít allow it (Perez, 2014).
2. The federal election commission said that legally married gay couples must be treated in the same manner as opposite-sex couples under election law (Fynes, 2013).
C. The relationship between the church and marriage is becoming secular.
1. Marriage has a long history in the religious world. It has become so ingrained in the social fabric of the people of the nation, and indeed of the world, that the benefits of marriage to society at large became apparent (usconstitution, 2014).
2. Because this religious rite had so many secular benefits, it became recognized by the secular world, and became subject to governmental definition and regulation (uscconstitution, 2014).
III. Arguments in support of gay marriages having equal rights
A. Marriage can be viewed as a human right, and has been referred to as a civil union among many states for gay couples. If that is so, then why would anyone want to deny a human being a human or civil right?
B. The benefits of marriage to society, apart from any religious concern or duty, include the following: Procreation, Known, or at least presumed, paternity, Child and spousal support, Stability in family life, Survivor’s rights. Not all of these require marriage (usconstitution.net, 2014).
1. There is no secular need for marriage to have procreation, for example. But without marriage, paternity could be difficult to discern, making child support difficult to manage. Note that this list is not exhaustive, and the list shows only the benefits of marriage to society, not the benefits of marriage to the individual. The benefits the individual feels can be quite subjective (usconstitution.net, 2014).
C. What makes others uncomfortable about gay marriage to the point that they do not want it to pass into legislation? There have been a lot of churches (Westborough Baptist being one of the main churches that come up in topics) that are against gay marriage and have even picketed at events such as ìPrideî.
1. Pride is a celebration known as ìgay prideî celebrated in many different communities where gay people gather and participate in events and even attend parades. There are churches that support the gay community and even make floats for the gay pride parades.
IV. Arguments against gay marriages having equal rights
A. Same-sex couples – even if legally married in their state ñ will not be acknowledged as a married couple in another state where itís not legal (Marriage Equality, 1996-2011).
B. There are uncertainties in the factors that determine custody agreements that are disputable in court, in the case of a break up or separation (Nolo, 2014).
C. Gay marriages represent a threat to established norms of authority, identity, and power (Cline, 2014).
A. Thesis: The legal arguments in support of gay marriage will continue to get attention and the debateswill also continue on whether or not gay marriages should have the same civil, human, and equal rights as heterosexual marriages.
Cline, A. (2014). Common Arguments Against Gay Marriage: Moral and Religious Arguments. About. Agnosticism/Atheism. Retrieved on June 15, 2014, from http://atheism.about.com/od/gaymarriage/p/ContraGayMarria.htm
Fynes, G. (2013, July 25). FEC rules that married gay couples have the same rights as straight spouses. The Washington Post. Retrieved on June 16, 2014, from http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/07/25/fec-rules-that-married-gay-couples-have-same-rights-as-straight-spouses/
GLAD, (N.D.). Marriage-A History of Change. GLAD: equal justice under law. Retrieved on June 16, 2014, fromhttp://www.outcast-films.com/res_marriage/historyofchange.PDF
Krause, K. W. (2011). What Next for Gay Marriage? The Humanist.
Marriage Equality, (1996-2011). Same-Sex Divorce. Marriage equality usa. Retrieved on June 15, 2014, from http://www.marriageequality.org/divorce
Nolo, (2014). Same-Sex Couples: Child Custody Issues. DivorceNet.com. Retrieved on June 15, 2014, from http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/same-sex/same-sex-couples-child-custody-issues.htm
Nussbaum, M. (2009). A Right to Marry? Same-sex Marriage and Constitutional Law. Dissent Magazine.
Perez, E. (2014, February 10). U.S. expands legal benefits, services for same-sex marriages. CNN Politics. Retrieved on June 16, 2014, fromhttp://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/politics/holder-same-sex-marriage-rights/
USconstitution.net, (2014). Constitutional Topic: Marriage. Retrieved on June 16, 2014, fromhttp://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_marr.html
If you would like to look at the cultural evaluation portion and start sharing some ideas with that, that would be greatly appreciated. The country that a few of us agreed on was Brazil.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more