investigating structure and strategy at an irish SME
“Investigating Strategy & Structure at an SME”
The assessment is intended to primarily relate to the following learning outcomes:
LO 1. Understand the principles of effective management in a modern business environment.
LO 3. Explain how plans and strategies are developed in an organisational context.
LO 4. Understand the theories and principles of organisational design and structure.
LO 7. Research and report a business related issue.
Other Learning Outcomes may also be covered dependent on the content of the submission.
The first part of this assessment looks at organisational planning and structure of a Small or Medium sized Irish business:
• “Small Enterprises employ between ten and fifty persons, have an annual turnover of less than €10m and an annual balance sheet total of less than €10m.”
• “Medium Enterprises employ between fifty and two hundred and fifty persons, have an annual turnover of less than €50m and an annual balance sheet total of less than €43m”
You are required to research, investigate and examine aspects of planning and organisational structure of a ‘real-life’ SME. This assessment enables you to relate the theories and concepts from the module directly to the operation of organisations in reality.
The hardest part of this assessment will be the research, the choice of organisation will be critical in completing your project.
Your information will have been gained from somewhere and you should identify your sources of information in a Bibliography. Marks will be given to the identification of your sources, and more marks will be given where academic referencing skills are used correctly.
Marks will also be awarded for the visual presentation of your submission and the correct use of language.
Specifically you are asked to address the following assignment tasks.
Task 1: Investigating Strategy & Structure at an SME
A. Organisational Overview (guide: 5% of word count)
• Give an overview of the organisation, including reference to whether it is classified as a Small or Medium sized business, and state the number of employees in the organisation and annual turnover.
B. Discuss the Organisational Purpose (guide: 20% of word count)
• Identify the Purpose / Mission of your chosen organisation.
• Assess the effectiveness of the organisational mission by comparing it frameworks of what a mission statement should be.
• In the absence of a Mission Statement, explain why and discuss whether this a positive or negative for the organisation.
C. Conduct an Environmental Analysis (guide: 25% of word count)
• WHAT HAS THE BIGGEST IMPACT ON THE ORGANISATION?
• Conduct an Environmental Analysis for your chosen organisation, in doing so apply commonly used frameworks, such as SWOT, PEST, Five Forces.
• Display issues using the typical bullet point ‘box’ framework of a SWOT, etc.
• You should only identify the most important and priority issues for the organisation. It is expected that this will be small in number and not a long list.
• You should BRIEFLY explain why the points listed are the most important.
D. Organisational Strategy (guide: 20% of word count)
• Applying concepts of strategy from sources used in lectures (i.e. Robbins, and/or David, and /or Porter, etc.) identify and explain the strategy that the organisation is pursuing. For example, does it represent a Growth, Stability, or Renewal strategy (Robbins)?
• Give an example(s) that demonstrates the organisation following this strategy.
• Appraise the benefits of the strategy(s) to the organisation.
• Identify the organisation’s key competitors and the strategy that they are following.
E. Organisational Structure (guide: 20% of word count)
• Illustrate the structure of the organisation with an Organisational Chart / Diagram
• Describe the features of the organisation’s structure.
• Appraise the benefits of the organisation being structured in this way.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies