Do you find yourself leaning more toward the Social Scientific approach to theory building and testing, or more toward the Humanistic approach to theory building and testing? Why?
assignment file attached requires 6 questions to be answered Questions for you:
1. How do social scientists (empiricists) and humanists (interpretive and critical scholars) differ in their answers to the
question: What is truth? In other words, how do they differ in how they view communication functioning in the real
world? (Note: Make sure you address all Ontological Assumptions)
2. How do social scientists and humanists differ in the ways they prefer to gain knowledge (i.e., to learn) about
communication? (Note: Make sure you address all Epistemological Assumptions)
3. How do social scientists and humanists differ in their opinions regarding the role that the researcher’s values
should play in the theory building and testing process? (Note: Make sure you address all Axiological Assumptions)
4. Given your answers to questions 1-3 above, how do you think social scientists’ and humanists’ theories of
communication will differ? Specifically:
(a) How would their goals of theory differ?
(b) How would their explanations differ?
(c) How would they differ in the methods used to test their theories?
5. Below are five different propositions regarding the role that values should play in the research process. Select the
proposition you agree with the most and defend your position.
Position #1: Research should always be value free.
Position #2: Research will have values, but should be free of values in areas concerned with
verification of results.
Position #3: Research will inevitably be influenced by values. Therefore, we must be aware of how
these values will influence our research.
Position #4: Values are a desirable part of the research process.
Position #5: Values negatively affect the research process.
6. Do you find yourself leaning more toward the Social Scientific approach to theory building and testing, or more
toward the Humanistic approach to theory building and testing? Why? If you identify more with the Humanistic
approach, would you say you are more interested in conducting interpretive research or critical research? Why?
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies