Art 100 Paper 1
• Submit via the assignments link by attaching paper as a word doc.
• Papers should be in paragraph form and not written as bullet points or lists or responses to question numbers.
• You may use your textbook and notes (and dictionary). Remember, you have all the information you need right on the screen, so trust your eyes. Do not use internet research or wikipedia. You do not need to submit to turnitin.com for this paper assignment. For properly citing the textbook, see below.
• Please upload as a doc. or PDF, I can’t open pages docs!
Choose ONE of the following three images.
1). Boticelli, The Birth of Venus, 1482, Lazzari, p. 6
2). Fernand Leger, The City, 1919, Lazzari, p. 423
3). Betye Saar, The Liberation of Aunt Jemima, 1972, Lazzari p. 370
In a 2-3 page paper, address the following items 1-6 in one essay in relation to the ONE artwork:
1). Begin your paper with a general description of the work you chose. One way to accomplish this is to write what you see as you move from left to right while providing the visual facts of the work. This will familiarize both you and the reader with what you’re about to analyze.
2). Do you consider this work as fine art, popular culture, or kitsch? Explain your response.
3). What is the function of this art work? Explain (see chap. 1).
4). Identify and describe all the formal elements (line, color, light, shape and volume, time and motion, pattern and texture) of this work including space, perspective, and principles of composition. What media was used to create the work? What is the size of the work?
5). What is the content (subject matter, iconography) of the work? Does the title add any meaning?
6). Based on the formal elements and content, what is the meaning of the work?
Helpful tips for writing a formal analysis:
• Avoid the use of subjective or informal language and the use of “I.” For example, it is beautiful, ugly, it moved me, I liked it, etc. This is an analysis, it should be objective.
• Start a new paragraph for each new idea.
• Artwork titles should be in italics.
• Remember to support your ideas with specific elements from the artworks.
• Proofread, especially the spelling of the artist’s name!
How to Cite Properly:
For paper 1, I prefer that the responses be composed from what you came across in the textbook or lecture and, most importantly, from your own visual observations and original insight. If you decide to quote directly from the textbook, place the direct quote in quotation marks, and at the end of the sentence, place the author’s last name and page number from where you took the text in parentheses. If you paraphrase (put in your own words), which I recommend over taking a direct quote, you still need to cite the authors’ name and page number.
Direct Quote (Taking text directly from the book)
“Perspective is one of the formal elements” (Lazzari, Schlesier 21).
According to Lazzari and Schlesier in the text, “Perspective is one of the formal elements” (21).
Paraphrasing (putting in your own words)
Formal elements include perspective, color, line, light, value, space, time, and motion (Lazzari, Schlesier 22-25).
If you cite from the textbook, list the bibliographic info for the text at the end of your paper as follows:
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies