Create a 2- to 3-page document in Microsoft Word for providing answers to questions in the following review sheets:
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
Exercise 4: Pure bacterial colonies
1. When an agar plate is inoculated, why is the loop sterilized after the initial inoculum is put on?
2. Distinguish between a pure culture and a mixed culture.
3. Define a bacterial colony. List four characteristics by which bacterial colonies may be distinguished.
4.Why should a Petri dish not be left open for any extended period?
5. Why does the streaking method you used to inoculate your plates result in isolated colonies?
Exercise 5: Pour plate and streaking technique to obtain pure cultures
1. Discuss the relative convenience of pour- and streak-plate techniques in culturing clinical specimens.
2. How do you decide which colonies should be picked from a plate culture of a mixed flora?
3. Why is it necessary to make pure subcultures of organisms grown from clinical specimens?
4. What kinds of clinical specimens may yield a mixed flora in bacterial cultures?
5. When more than one colony type appears in pure culture, what are the most likely sources of extraneous contamination?
Exercise 3: Primary media for isolation of microorganisms
1. Define a differential medium and discuss its purpose.
2. Define a selective medium and describe its uses.
3. Why is MacConkey agar selective as well as differential?
4. Why is blood agar useful as a primary isolation medium?
5. What is the major difference between Modified Thayer-Martin (MTM) and chocolate agar? When would you use MTM rather than chocolate agar?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more